Friday, October 29, 2010

The First of Many

Monday morning I called to get Owen in for an appointment with his pediatrician with a hunch that he might have another ear infection or worse with all the congestion in his nose and chest. Brynn and Owen were on my bed watching a movie while I was braiding Brynn's hair. The next thing I knew Owen was getting off my bed and then all I heard was a loud crash. I initially thought from the sound of it that he cracked his head open since he caught the nightstand, but I didn't see any blood. He wouldn't stop crying though even when I was holding him. He kept saying "Owie" so I asked him what hurt and he pointed to his left wrist. That's when I knew he broke his arm. I was an emotional mess the rest of the day. We went to the pediatrician for his appointment and found out he had a sinus and ear infection. That makes it ear infection #10 since he was born, so we got a referral to see a specialist. Then we were referred to get x-rays done on his arm which turned out to be a fractured distal ulna and radius (wrist). The good news is that it is very mild. That alone relieved a lot of anxiety. So we went back to the pediatrician to get a splint and sling put on until Wednesday when Dr. Keith Braun (uncle Keith) put a cast on.












When Keith asked us what color we wanted Brynn replied "Pink" it was too cute but I had to explain that pink is a color only for girls :) So we chose red instead and Brynn calls it "Badger Red". I have to say I didn't know how I was going to take care of Owen all by myself this week while Brad was gone in Atlanta for work, on top of trying to make sure Brynn felt loved and important because of how much attention Owen needed from me. But Owen was a trooper, he went about his days as if nothing ever happened and there wasn't a cast on his arm. Brynn survived the week but is loving having daddy home. I am exhausted but I still have a lot more ahead of me so I will keep plugging away. This coming Tuesday Owen has surgery to put tubes in his ears because his left ear still has fluid in it and it is really bad compared to his right ear. Then we are teething again, the bottom right molar is cutting through and tylenol just doesn't cut it, but because of the surgery no motrin for Owen. November 15 the cast comes off and that will be enough thank you, especially with the holidays around the corner. At least no more ear infections for my kids and hopefully no more broken bones (in my perfect imaginative little world).

No comments: