Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Latest Project

Every year spring rolls around and I am dying to get outside and catch some much needed rays of sun. What better way than to find a project to work on! I found I have a reoccuring theme, landscaping. I get this from all the years working on projects with my dad and I have found out that even when I go home to visit I find projects for them to work on around their house.
You are going to need a little background about the house we are renting in order to fully understand what I did. About 2 years ago, March 2008, I took a sledgehammer to the backyard. There were weird brickplanters and a grill that was not in working shape all over the place. I couldn't stand looking at the mess of a unorganized landscaping job...so I went to work.
Before...















After...
We laid concrete to fill in the uneven cement job. We ripped up the flagstone all along the back of the house that was about 3" thick while trying to save as much possible to use in the front yard (it used to be where the table and chairs are now), and filled in grass where the corner brickplanter used to be.












I took out the old brick raised flower bed and replaced it with smaller red bricks with a new design. I made it into a vegetable garden and also added hanging flower pots around the walls of the backyard to add some color.

Before..











After...
I dug up the green plastic looking shrub bushes that were in the brick flowerbed in front of the window and replaced them with vincas. I also ripped out both brick flowerbeds that were in front of each archs along with the green plastic looking shrub bushes and river rock. I used the bricks from the flowerbed to make a new outline flowerbed for the camellias in front of one of the arches. As for the other arch, I had to dig up durt level it off pour in sand then take the flagstone from the backyard that I was able to salvage and lay it down so that we could fill it in with concrete. If I do say so myself it looks great! :)






No comments: